Henley-on-Thames is a town in Oxfordshire County, which is located on the River Thames, 7 miles northeast of Reading and 7 miles west of Maidenhead in the South East of England. The total area is 5,58 square kilometres and the population as of 2011 is 11 619 people.
History of Henley-on-Thames
In 1079 King Henry II bought the land to build houses where the city is located today. A church was built not long after and in the 1200s a building of a bridge has been recorded. John de Molyns was given the city in 1337 and his family had it for about 250 years. In 1558, Henry VIII incorporated Henley-on-Thames in the warden. After suffering during the Civil Wars the city strived again in the 1600s and 1700s thanks to new industries and various manufactories founded as a result of that.
Henley-on-Thames is today widely recognized as one of the most beautiful cities on England and has been mentioned by The Times as one of the best places to live in the UK. Located by the river and surrounded by green forest, Henley-on-Thames offers some scenic views for its visitors, especially during summertime. The city is widely known for its rowing tradition and the whole city centre offers a free public wi-fi that can be used when visiting the city.